MLB Baseball Picks: New York Yankees at Washington Nationals
Friday, June 15, 2012
The New York Yankees and the Washington Nationals may be the two hottest teams in baseball at the moment. Both have won six straight, with each doing the other the favor of taking out some division rivals. Washington’s demolition of Boston and Toronto has been based around the best pitching staff in the National League, while the Yankees have taken out the New York Mets and Atlanta Braves with a combination of starting pitching and home runs.
The Nationals came into this round of interleague play atop the NL East and could have been excused for taking a brief step back with all five AL East teams staring them down. Instead, the starters, led by Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann and Gio Gonzalez, have been as good as advertised in helping allow just 2.7 runs over the last six games. New York annually uses interleague play to pad its record and this season is no different, with a 7-2 record thus far. The Yankees will miss Strasburg but still have to deal with Bryce Harper, who is 7-for-13 in the last three games.
Hughes has been strong over his last two outings, posting a pair of wins while allowing a total of three runs in 15 1/3 innings. Each of the three runs were the result of solo home runs, however, and the right-hander has surrendered 15 homers in 68 total innings this season. Hughes has never started against Washington and owns a career 3-1 record with a 3.94 ERA in nine interleague games - four starts.
Gonzalez has not allowed more than three runs in an outing since his first start of the season and is coming off a win over the Red Sox last weekend. The veteran left-hander has 89 strikeouts in 72 2/3 total innings and has yielded only one home run this season. The former Oakland A is just 1-4 with a 7.27 ERA in five career starts against the Yankees. Nick Swisher, Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira have each homered off Gonzalez in the past.
1. Washington 1B Adam LaRoche sat out Wednesday with a sore foot. He is day-to-day.
2. LaRoche’s replacement at first, rookie Tyler Moore, went 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs and five RBIs.
3. The Yankees are expected to activate RH David Robertson (oblique) off the 15-day disabled list on Friday.
Recent Trends on NY Yankees: :
- NYY are 10-1 in their last 11 Fri. games.
- NYY are 16-5 in their last 21 overall.
- NYY are 16-5 in their last 21 games on grass.
Recent Trends on Washington: :
- Under is 5-1-2 in WAS last 8 games following a win.
Vegas Betting Lines MLB Prediction: Washington -140
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Saturday June 16th MLB Odds: New York Yankees at Washington Nationals
- Bovada MLB Vegas Odds: Yankees Visit Nationals in Washington
- MLB Las Vegas Free Betting Picks: Oakland Athletics at New York Yankees
- MLB Betting Odds and Free Picks: Miami Marlins at Washington Nationals
- Betting in Vegas: Washington Nationals & New York Yankees